After securing their sinking starship, the Sterretania, the party heads north across the ocean in their launch, securing the air/raft to the top. Several hour later they reach land – a peninsula sticking out into the ocean.
Sensor scans indicate several small towns in the area, the largest at the southernmost tip of the peninsula, and that the technology level is about TL2. Deciding to keep a low profile, the party heads for mountains about 100 miles from one of the small towns and spends some extra time trying to find a landing spot that will not be visible by passersby. They succeed in finding a good landing spot and Captain Lorus Terrell, Levi Koebisch, and Jeron Kutus go on a reconnaissance mission.
Jeron pilots them in the air/raft to a point several miles from a small town on a river. Lorus and Levi make their way to town under the cover of dark, while Jeron stays with the air/raft. During their reconnoiter Lorus and Levi learn the following:
- The inhabitants are humans. Most are broad and bald, dark skinned people called Duntari. They speak Galanglic with a strange, but easy to mimic, accent.
- The small farming town is called Nedelis and is on the Agali River. It is located on the Boranthus Peninsula. The nearby mountains are called the Boruntu Mountains. The larger coastal city to the south is called Augenhilde. It is the local center of commerce, and the best place to get information on this area.
- The local animal transport is a furry, two legged creature called a Jenku. They are most commonly ridden with a saddle or used to pull a wagon or two-wheeled rickshaw or travois.
- Lorus and Levi were able to gather (i.e. steal) a variety of the local clothing and robes, but no footwear. They managed to get enough minimal clothing for the entire crew.
- Although Lorus and Levi were trying to stay undetected, they did have a brief encounter with an older man, who indicated they must be visitors from the north. Other than that the encounter was uneventful.
The recon team was able to make it back to the air/raft and back to the launch without incident, and the party rested through the night without any disturbance.